Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Metamorphosis

In Kafka's The Metamorphosis, the more and more I think about it, the more I think that Gregor reminds me of my grandmother who had Alzheimer's. We took her in like a helpless thing and the longer she was with us, the more it pained us for her to be in our house. At first we did it out of pure love, but eventually, she became a burden, just like Gregor. Not an actual burden, but an emotional trial. She started to embarrass us on occasion. Forgetting who her own family members were. She forgot I was her grandson and actually hit on me. My grandma for crying out loud! Anyway, Gregor does things throughout the story that remind me of her. Like choosing the picture of the sexy woman on the wall instead of the desk that he put so much thought into saving. Like my grandmother choosing to hit on me. Eventually, after the death of Gregor and my grandmother, the taking a drive part of the story was a type of cleansing, we not only were doing it to get fresh air but to remember her in a way...without Alzheimer's. To remember the woman that we all loved and remembered, before the desease. I think that this story of Gregor is a story of a family dealing with an Alzheimer's patient.

1 comment:

  1. Landon, my man, I'm glad you shared this experience with us. It's allowed me to view this story in a whole different light. All I would have to say is that you brought in your Grandmother knowing that she could be a burden, while to Gregor's family it was a complete surprise. I'm sorry you had to go through that, though. Must have been really hard on your family. But I'm glad you can still think about her positively. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete