Monday, November 14, 2011

A Very Old Man

A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings was one of the more obscure stories that we have read so far. I thought that it was a kind of dark and creepy story though. I have my own opinions on how people use religion throughout their lives. I grew up going to church and being "Christian". I no longer am religious and I don't want to make it sound as if I have problems with those who are. I do feel like this story illustrates how people use religion as a convenience item. What I mean by that is that religion is good for a person when they decide that it is good for them and on their own time. The family in this story really take advantage of the situation that has been set before them and they make their wealth of the angel and when it is no longer beneficial to them, they think the angel is a hassle and they want it out of their lives. I saw it many times when I was growing up and I see it reflected in this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment